What you’d be doing
We’re looking for someone to join our “Enable and Platform” team, who do a bunch of interesting things:
- Looking after the AWS infrastructure our software runs on
- Working on the core services which let us run the electricity retail company - electricity market integrations, billing and invoicing, and so on
- Keeping our developer tooling up to scratch - making sure our test environments and CI/CD do what we need from them
As a member of that team you’ll be across all of these areas - playing a key part in making sure our AWS infrastructure is performant, resilient, and failsafe. You’ll help us to make sure it scales day-to-day as demand on it fluctuates, and in a long-term way as our customer base grows. You’ll help us maintain the right monitoring and alerting so the engineering team can respond to issues of all sorts effectively. You’ll work with developers to make sure that they’ve got test environments which meet their needs, and help us keep our CI pipeline working well. You’ll also work on Flick’s back-end systems - and we have some very interesting work coming up in that area through 2021.
Who you are
We’re keen to hear from a wide range of people, so don’t be put off applying if you don’t tick every box.
You’ve got a background in development in a devops environment. Ideally, you’re a Rubyist - but if your background is in another language and you’re keen to gain some Ruby skills that’s cool too. You’ve got a couple of years of experience working with AWS in an infrastructure-as-code environment - ideally using terraform, but if you’ve been using cloud formation that’s cool too. You’ll have a good working knowledge of containerisation technologies - ideally Docker. Ideally you’ll have a degree of familiarity with microservices - both coding them and designing and building the infrastructure that they run on. Ideally, you’ll have been doing this in an environment where releases happen multiple times a day.
Why’s this better than the 49 other offers you have?
- We’ve got a modern, micro services based platform, which has always run in the cloud. We’re very much unencumbered by legacy technology - either in the code or in the platform.
- We’re goldilocks-sized - small enough that you can make a difference, big enough that you’ll be well supported and won’t have to wear ALL the hats. You’ll have good support around you - from senior technical people, to a people and capability team, to stakeholders who can help shape the work you’ll be doing.
- You’ll be working as part of a development team and collaborating with developers, rather than in a siloed operations team.
If this sounds like you, drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org.